Gather Your Ingredients and Tools
Before you start cooking your over easy egg, it’s important to make sure you have all the necessary ingredients and tools at hand. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 large egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter or oil for cooking
- Nonstick frying pan
Make sure your egg is fresh and at room temperature for best results. Additionally, having all your tools nearby will make the cooking process easier and more efficient. Now that you have everything you need, it’s time to start cooking!
Preheat Your Pan
The next step in making an over easy egg is to preheat your frying pan. This is important because it ensures that your egg cooks evenly and doesn’t stick to the pan. Here’s how to do it:
- Place your nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add a small amount of butter or oil to the pan and swirl it around to coat the surface.
- Wait for the butter or oil to heat up, which should take about a minute or so.
To test if your pan is hot enough, you can flick a drop of water onto the surface. If it sizzles and evaporates, your pan is ready to go. Once your pan is heated up, it’s time to crack your egg and start cooking.
Crack and Cook the Egg
Now that your pan is preheated, it’s time to crack your egg and get it cooking. Here are the steps to follow:
- Crack your egg into a small dish or ramekin. This makes it easier to add to the pan without breaking the yolk.
- Carefully slide the egg into the center of the pan.
- Season the egg with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook the egg for about 2-3 minutes or until the white is set but the yolk is still runny. You can also baste the egg with the butter or oil in the pan to help cook the white on top. Once the egg is cooked to your desired doneness, it’s time to flip it over for the final step.
Flip the Egg
Flipping an over easy egg can be a bit tricky, but with a little practice, you’ll get the hang of it. Here’s how to do it:
- Using a spatula, gently loosen the edges of the egg from the pan.
- Slide the spatula under the egg and lift it up slightly.
- Quickly and confidently flip the egg over in one smooth motion.
Cook the egg for an additional 10-15 seconds on the other side to set the yolk. Be careful not to overcook the egg or the yolk will become solid. Once the egg is cooked to your liking, it’s time to plate it up and enjoy!
Serve and Enjoy Your Over Easy Egg
Now that your over easy egg is cooked to perfection, it’s time to serve and enjoy it. Here are some tips to help you do just that:
- Use a spatula to carefully transfer the egg to a plate.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve with toast or your favorite breakfast sides.
You can also experiment with different seasonings or toppings to give your egg some extra flavor. Some popular options include hot sauce, cheese, or herbs like chives or parsley. With these tips, you’ll be able to make a delicious over easy egg that’s sure to impress.